Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Following Jesus example....

Jesus knew that the Father had given him authority over everything and that he had come from God and would return to God. So he got up from the table, took off his robe, wrapped a towel around his waist, and poured water into a basin. Then he began to wash the disciples' feet and to wipe them with the towel he had around him. . . . After washing their feet, he put on his robe again and asked, 'Do you understand what I was doing? You call me 'Teacher' and 'Lord,' and you are right, because it is true. And since I, the Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you ought to wash each other's feet. I have given you an example to follow. Do as I have done to you. How true it is that a servant is not greater than the master. Nor are messengers more important than the one who sends them. You know these things-now down them! That is the path of blessing."
- John 13:3-5; 12-17
Today in Gyero this is what happened. A team from USA brought many pairs of trainers and socks and they washed all of our boys and girls feet and put on clean socks and gave each a new pair of trainers. Whilst washing they talked individually with each child and prayed with them and celerated this new gift together. It was awesome to see the delight on each of our children's faces, especially the new girls ( i dont think they have experienced anything quite like this before !) they were all smiling and dancing in their new shoes. See the following images to give you a glimse of our day....

The team washed each child's feet ( which were very dirty in the we season in the village it is difficult to have clean feet in flip flops !! ) and dryed them and fitted them with brand new shoes...
I was filled with conflicting emotions....it was really humbling to see this team young and old alike washing each child's feet so tenderly, our children glowed with the love showed to them, it was also very hard to have to turn children away from the village who would have liked to have a new pair of shoes as well. There is so much need here it is difficult when you can't help everyone and you are the one to be hard and turn them away...sometimes I don't like being a leader !!!
To stop myself getting too stressed supervising I joined in and washed some of our senior boys feet, it was an amazing experience...to begin with all sorts of things were going through my head, I haven't done this before, their feet will be really dirty and smelly etc....but I knew Jesus was challenging me to humble myself and get involved. So I did and it was very special as individual boys special to me found their way to my bowl. They loved it and so did I :)
This was an amazing way to be used by the Lord, and so practical to show His love to our children who He has brought to us. So sad too that a pair of shoes back home everyone takes for granted that they should have, whereas here it is a real treat to be given a new pair of shoes.

No comments: