Thursday, August 21, 2008

Camp reflections.......

As I write we have just finished camp for this year within our ministry. We had two seperate camps one for junior boys and one for senior, which meant a total of 175 boys attended.....For the first time I was helping to lead Senior camp for 70 boys here in Jos and we had a team come from Moody church in Chicago to help with the teaching and discipling of our boys.
The theme above was unpacked each day, and the boys were encouraged to walk daily with courage, endurance, self sacrifice, vision , compasion and discipline in their lives. Please pray that the lessons learnt will stick with them as they live out their faith.
One of the highlights of the day for me was the morning devotions, the worship was great as the uncles lead us in song the boys love to dance as they worship , totally uninhibited, unlike us Brits...

Then every afternoon we did various activities and i as one of the few people who could swim was assigned as lifeguard. This is fine until you consider we are in the height of the rainy season and that the pool was far from clean !!! as you can see from the following pics it was quite an experience...one of those moments when you just pray and dive in....

I loved spending time with the kitchen ladies they had a hard job to do but are such servants, always cheerful despite being exhausted. They are so resourceful and produced a lot of great meals. Take a look at their facilities....






See even i tried to help but it was so difficult these ladies are so strong and don't seem to get affected by the smoke...my eyes were streaming... Imagine cooking for a hundred people three times a day on an open fire .....

I liked being able to help organise but also constantly had to keep my attitude in check as i was generally enabling others to have a good time, and therefore was not personally doing a lot of hands on with our boys as others were. It is difficult being the behind the scenes person and i learnt a lot about myself and some of the lessons God is trying to teach me . I realise I need to check my motivation and don't think of myself more highly than i ought , which in this culture can be difficult as we as white people are generally put up on pedestals and i need to follow the example of my Saviour who was a perfect example of a servant . He got down on his knees and washed people's feet and didn't moan and so I need to humbly follow his example.

No comments: