Sunday, June 5, 2011

Who am I ?

I love the Casting Crowns song Who am I....?
The chorus of which goes..

Not because of who I am
But because of what you have done
Not because of what I have done
But because of who you are

I am a flower quickly fading
Here today and gone tomorrow
A wave tossed in the ocean
A vapour in the wind

Still you hear me when i am calling
You catch me when I am falling
You tell me who I am
I am Yours...I am Yours...

As I reflect on my life lately I am humbled by the way God guides and leads and brings new challenges along the way, not because of who I am but because of who HE is to bring Glory and Honour to HIM.
I am a vessel , a flower quickly fading...(sometime it feels like it !!) someone he is choosing to use here and now in Nigeria.

A few weeks ago I popped into a shop to buy some food and I saw a white lady i didn't know and her husband who is Nigerian. I overheard her accent and didn't think it was American !! and so when her husband left I asked her where she was from...
She replied London !!! and was so excited when i in turn said I was British too :)
She has been living here for a year now and has had no contact with a white person and lives on a totally Nigerian compound in Jos, she badly needed a friend who she could relate to and was so excited to talk. Her husband commented that she was obviously meant to come to the shop today to meet me !!! She had never met a missionary or knew much about ministry ( a suprise to me here )and was keen to be friends.
When we met later in the week it turns out she was a brand new Christian and was in need of someone to Disciple her. She has come through an awful lot in her life and God has brought her to Nigeria and got her attention....and then a few months later he introduced her to me :)
I felt God say to me that he wanted me to disciple her !!! wow.. I was already super busy and not looking for new challenges and I had not done one on one discipling before but I knew this was from God and he had a job for me to do :) Not quite what i was expecting to be doing here so far from home but God had a plan...

Well we have met a few times now and its so exciting to see someone grow in their faith, she is coming each week with loads of questions from the daily studies she is doing and we are having hours of discussion. She sadly has not ever had conversations about God with a British person before and God has designed it so well that she has come out of her country and yet connected with someone to help her understand her new faith .... and that is ME !!!

If you have never had the opportunity to disciple someone one on one I challenge you to look for those God opportunities he brings along your way. It is very challenging but so exciting and encouraging and really builds your own faith as you reflect on who God is and the changes in your own life.

When our life belongs to God and we let him be in control its amazing to see what he uses us for. We are flowers quickly fading , here today and gone tomorrow and we need not to miss the opportunities he gives us to bring Glory to him.

1 comment:

Susan Snyder said...

And you get a British friend to have tea with!!! Our God is good!